Find Help Now

Kansas Action for Children is an independent, nonprofit, nonpartisan organization. We receive no funding from the local, state, or federal government. Links on this page are provided for informational purposes. Please contact the departments for the programs below if you have questions.


Click here to apply


You can apply for child care subsidies, food assistance, or cash assistance through the Kansas DCF Self-Service Portal.


Kansas Child Care Subsidy program

According to the state: The Child Care Subsidy Program helps pay for child care costs. It helps many types of families. These include the following:
  • Families who receive TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) - This program helps these families get and keep jobs.
  • Low-income, working families.
  • Some families in education or training activities - This provides help for keeping a job or getting a better job.
  • Teen parents completing high school or GED.

Food assistance (SNAP)

According to the state: The United States Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly known as the Food Stamp Program, provides qualifying low-income households with food benefits, access to a healthy diet and education on food preparation and nutrition. In Kansas, the program is known as the Food Assistance Program.

Economic and employment services

According to the state: The Successful Families Program has services for low income families. These include the following:

Cash assistance, also known as Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
  • Helps adults with their problems in getting a job
  • Provides support services for work, training, work activities, and education
The program helps families learn new skills, build on their current abilities, and keep children in their homes.


Click here to apply


You can learn about your options and apply for health care coverage at the Kansas Medical Consumer Self-Service Portal.


About Medicaid and CHIP

KanCare is the name of the Medicaid program in Kansas. It is meant to provide health insurance coverage to those with low incomes or limited resources. CHIP is the Children's Health Insurance Program and provides coverage for children whose families might not qualify for Medicaid. MediKan is a state-run program for those with physical or mental disabilities.


Click here for more


Want to know more about about the state's foster care system and services? Here's a resource page from the Department of Children and Families.

Click here for more


Learn about the Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) volunteer program, which looks to "recruit, train and support citizen-volunteers to advocate for the best interests of abused and neglected children in courtrooms."